Sunday, December 14, 2008

Here's the post
My blogging experience was a tough time for me, because I am not someone who “blogs” a lot. I not really into as some of my fellow classmates are, however I do see where blogging can be exciting. It is exciting to me, because when you write a post, you are putting your thoughts and opinions out there for the world to see if the so choose to. The more exciting part to that is that I, the blogger, can listen to what the world if they leave a comment, or I have the right not listen if I do not want to by not allowing comments to be posted. This is absolutely beautiful, because you literally have the world at your fingertips, so the phrase “Here Today, Tomorrow France’” has to be revised to account for blogging, lol!

The essay I chose to revise is my “Why Technology” essay. I chose to revise this essay because this lowest of my essay grades. I also chose to revise this paper because I enjoy technology. The advancement of technology really excites me. I think about the evolution from Lucy, our ancient ancestor, to our present generation, the contrast is amazing. She walked around searching for food, water, and shelter from the elements, whereas men and women today search for food, refreshments, and shelter from the elements while shopping for new items of our liking. Lucy may have used a club to tenderize her meat, we use an updated version of that club to do accomplish the same goal; meat tenderizing. So from Lucy shopping with her club, to us today shopping with ours’ it is all the same, except I get to blog about it!
Here's the revised paper
Agnes Harris
Due Date October 14, 2008
Professor Yerks
Comp 106

Why Technology?

Since the beginning of time we have looked at ourselves as a society that has evolved. Down to our biped ancestor like Lucy, all the way up to the generation that is here now (the Digital Generation), we consider ourselves as progressive each day. Society wants to see themselves as going to the next level in technology. In Generational Myth by Siva Vaidhyanathan, she argues “Once we assume that all young people love certain forms of interaction and hate others, we forge policies and design systems and devices that match presumptions”. Vaidhyanathan is stating examples like the curriculum just recently pointed at elementary, middle, high schools, and even University to fit this digital age we are in. I believe there is nothing wrong with change because change is the only thing that stays constant. If someone from a different planet were to come here on earth to look at our history books, they would see how far civilization has advanced. I do believe there is nothing wrong with keeping up with technology; however that could be a down fall sometimes because the interaction with people, books, and using our own imagination is sufficient. The computer has made many things and people very accessible.
Yes, technology has progressed, in what terms does the interaction with people become more prevalent? It seems as time goes on, as a generation we decide or are even forced to use the computer to interact with individuals. Here at University of Michigan-Dearborn from the time a student is enrolled on campus they are told everything is done by via email. The professor will use the banner web to contact an individual, c-tool, and even the virtual learning center. I believe using these forms of contact, makes things very non personal or even sterile. The reason for this is instead of my interaction with my professor and talking to them, I have to do everything through email. I believe students would receive more of a professor/student relationship if the majority of the assignments were given in class. I believe contacting a student through email makes things less personal.
I believe books have been the greatest tool known to mankind because it allows us to know where we came from and possibly where the future generations are headed. In most of the classes I had in high school were more technology driven. Now I believe there is nothing wrong with people leaning away from books, however to me it would seem if students did not depend on reading books it would not give all students from different races a fair chance. Hargittai responded that women, students of Hispanic origin, African American students, and students whose parents have lower levels of education tend to have less mastery of the inner working of digital technology than other groups. It would be nice to allow technology to lead the way, but we have think logically. If society decided to use computers instead of books then everyone would have to have a computer and unlimited access to the internet. Then every book would need to be on the internet. Society would really have to evaluate, if having every book ever written on the internet is even possible. In reality we would have to say everyone could not have a computer, and reference books would not be on the internet, and the possibility of internet unpaid is very slim.
I believe the internet and even the computer have closed some of our imagination. By not interacting with people and books, it seems like individuals have a more sheltered existing. It has been shown in many studies that a group of people can accomplish a project, instead of just one person by themselves. I believe tradition is good dealing with books.

1 comment:

Raquel said...

I completely agree about the blogging. It's definitely strange having your thoughts out there for the world to see!